Sunday, 9 June 2013

Castell Coch Rhan Un (Red Castle Part One).

Hi all, just thought I'd let you know how I've been spending my free time of late. I've gone back to my first war gaming passion, fantasy. It was Warhammer that made me catch the war gaming bug, back when there were Citadel Miniature stores, rather than Games Workshops, oh soooo long ago.... Anyway.

I decided to build a castle, my lord will need an abode after all. After looking for some inspiration on the interwebs, I went back to my place of birth, or just north to be exact, Tongwynlais. On the hillside above this sleepy little village stands Castell Coch, or Red Castle. It's a 19th century Gothic revival castle built as the holiday home for John Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquess of Bute. It is a lovely castle, very picturesque, more a fortified home really, but looks great ;) So this is what I planned to build.



I've been building it for a few weeks now, time permitting, not near completion yet. But, I thought I'd share some in progress photos with you.




As you can see, I made the back wall detachable, to help with painting the interior courtyard, movement of miniatures, and hopefully to use as a nice photo backdrop for miniatures.

I've also recently bought some 15mm fantasy miniatures from Irregular Miniatures and 15mm.co.uk, also bought their USE ME High Fantasy rules. Thus far have only managed to painted one base of cavalry, a few pics below.



 I'll post more pics when I've painted more of course, but for now.... ta ta.