Saturday, 5 April 2014

Orford Castle.

Orford Keep.

Today, my wife and I took a trip to Orford Castle. Orford is a village not too far from us in Suffolk, England. Only the keep remains intact on this site, which was built between 1165 and 1173 by Henry II of England to consolidate royal power in the region.



It's a lovely place to visit and a very interesting site. I took too many photos to post here, but I thought I'd share a few with you, I hope you enjoy.

Orford village sign.

A view form outside

Up some steps to the entance.

The Urinal just outside of the constable`s chambers...he had an en-suite!

The well in the celler.

Looking down the spiral staircase.

And... looking up.

Main Hall.

A bit of graffiti. 

Cannon outside the keep.

View from, top of the keep

more view

and more view.
We had a great day out, and I hope you enjoyed the pictures.